Thursday, November 18, 2010

Early Memories by Kuyong Chuin (Pseudonym)

My earliest childhood memory was when I  probably 2 or so years old. We had just gotten home from church on a hot and sunny afternoon. I was wearing a short sleeved white shirt and a little light blue set of short overalls like jumper with a matching hat. I was still outside in the front yard and had not gone into the house yet. I picked up this red triangle thing that had a shiny thing that spun on the top of it with a long green thing attached to it. I was still too young to know what this fun thing to play with was yet. I then got the first surprise of my life when the shiny thing started spinning on its own and started spaying me with water. After that I didn’t pick up that sprinkler ever again after that because at the time it scared me to pick it up. I learned to play in the water while it was on but never picked it up again.
Seem to me that in the first 7 years of my life most of the things I remember are the times I was in the greatest state of emotion. Some good but mostly the times I was scared or very upset are the memories that I remember most. Some things my mind blocked out and to this day I still only remember parts of those times that were blocked out of my mind. For example, I remember the names of every homeroom teacher I ever had but one, even though I can see what see looked like, my mind blocked out her name. I guess because she was the meanest teacher I ever had and if she did the things she did to me back then today she wouldn’t be a teacher at the very least.
We did not have a kindergarten where we lived when I was little. Because of when I was born I was normally the youngest in my class most of the time growing up. When I started the first grade I was 4 almost 5 years old, I turned 5 a few weeks after school started, the only ting I remember from the first grade was my teacher, Miss Jackson, who was a very sweet person and that we did a time capsule that I really wish I remembered what year we was suppose to open it.  But other than that I have no memories of anything else that year. My second grade year is where my mind blocked things out. That is the teacher whose name is still lost to me. She is the teacher that because I was left handed and having problems with the items that were made for a right handed person would break wooden rulers over the back of my hands. I am not talking about the thin cheap rulers they make today, but the thick wooden rulers that had the metal strip that ran down the side of then for the straight edge on the ruler. I was switched over to right handed but I can write with ether hand even to this day but I right slowed left handed because I don’t normally write left handed. I do shoot firearms and a bow left handed even today.
There were other things that I remember from those early years growing up in South Carolina. Some things that still make me smile, things that make me upset, and yet other things that just stand out in my memory from those early years. Like watching the first man on the moon landing and when they came back and splashed down on TV from the daycare I went to while Mom and Dad was at work. I remember going over to my grandparent’s house on Sunday afternoons for dinner with all my Cousins, Aunts, and Uncles and all the cousins going outside playing games. Watching my first wrestling match on TV with my cousins over their house then going out back and “wrestling” in their homemade ring out back. Getting my first bike and then having to learn to ride it without the training wheels on it only to have some of the bigger kids take my bike from me and lay a piece of plywood over it and use it for a ramp and in the process destroying my bike.  There were other things that upset me so bad that they still effect me today and I am not comfortable talking about much less putting them into words on here. I will be adding to this as time goes on.